An affirmation is an assertion that something exists or is true. Look upon your own mind as a garden. You are a gardener, and affirmations are the seeds (thoughts) that you consciously plant in the soil of your subconscious mind. Whatever you sow in your subconscious mind, so shall you reap in your body and environment. For this reason, it is essential that you project positive images on the movie screen of your mind, faithfully believing that these images are your reality in the here and now.
Begin now to sow thoughts of peace, happiness, right action, goodwill, and prosperity. Think quietly and with interest in these qualities and accept them fully in your conscious, reasoning mind, where they are eventually passed along to your subconscious mind. Continue to plant these wonderful seeds (affirmations) in the garden of your mind, and you will reap a glorious harvest.
When your mind thinks correctly, when you understand the truth, when the thoughts deposited in your subconscious mind are constructive, harmonious, and peaceful, the magic working power of your subconscious will respond and bring about harmonious conditions, agreeable surroundings, and the best of everything. When you begin to control your thought processes, you can apply the powers of your subconscious mind to any problem or difficulty.
In other words, you will actually be consciously cooperating with the infinite power and omnipotent law, within you and around you, which governs all things.
Putting Affirmations to Work
The effectiveness of an affirmation is determined largely by your understanding of the truth and the meaning behind the words; an affirmation is simply your acknowledgment of universal truth.
For example, a boy adds four and four and writes nine on the blackboard. The teacher affirms with mathematical certainty that four and four are eight; therefore, the boy changes his figures accordingly. The teacher’s statement did not make four and four equal eight because the latter was already a mathematical truth. The mathematical truth caused the boy to rearrange the figures on the blackboard.
it is normal to be healthy & abnormal to be sick. Health is the truth of your being. When you affirm health, harmony, and peace for yourself or someone else, and when you realize that these are universal principles of your own being, you will replace the negative patterns of your subconscious mind with a positive pattern that is aligned with the universal truth of healthy being.
Recommendation to Improve Results
To optimize the power of affirmations and of your subconscious mind you can do the following (Credit to Joseph Murphy for his outstanding book titled ‘52 Weekly Affirmations: Techniques to Unleash the Power of Your Subconscious Mind’):
- All the sentences in affirmation should be in the present tense (No past and future tense)
- Post a copy of the affirmation where you will notice it over the course of your day—perhaps at the bottom of your computer monitor, on a wall near your desk, or on the door of your refrigerator.
- Relax and quiet your mind prior to reading or reciting the affirmation, so that your mind is receptive. A dark, quiet room is more conducive to the meditative state that makes the mind receptive to affirmations.
- Reciting the affirmation as you are falling asleep is an effective technique because the conscious mind is less able to reject it. (If you can memorize the affirmation, keep your eyes gently closed as you recite it to remove all visual distractions.)
- Recite the affirmation aloud, if possible, or sound out the words in your head. Hearing the words will reinforce the impression on your subconscious mind.
- As you read or recite the affirmation, think carefully about its meaning. Do not merely say the words.
- Focus on the positive and give absolutely no attention to any negative. In the case of illness, for example, think in terms of restoring health and not about curing the illness, because any thought or mention of the illness affirms it and the symptoms that accompany it. Likewise, think of wealth, not the elimination of debt.
- Use your imagination, not willpower. Imagine the end and the freedom state. You will find your intellect trying to get in the way, but persist in maintaining a simple, childlike, miracle-making belief. Picture yourself or the other person healthy, wealthy, and successful. Imagine the emotional accompaniment of the freedom state you crave. Cut out all red tape from the process. The simple way is the best.
- Easy does it. Do not be concerned with details and means, but know the end result. Get the feel of the happy solution to your problem whether it is health, finances, or employment. Imagine how you will feel when the problem is resolved. Bear in mind that your feeling is the touchstone of all subconscious imprints. Your new idea must be felt subjectively in a finished state, not the future, but as coming about now.
- Merely reading through affirmations will have little or no effect. Just as seeds need time to sprout and take root, so too do thoughts need time to sprout and take root in your subconscious until your conscious and subconscious mind are unified in their acceptance of the affirmation’s truth.
- Rest in a sense of deep conviction that it is done.
- Never think or utter phrases such as “I can’t afford this” or “I can’t do this.” Your subconscious mind takes you at your word and will see to it that you do not have the money or the ability to do what you want to do.
- Do not weaken your affirmation by saying, “I wish” or “I hope.” State the affirmation as a decree from the boss (your conscious mind). Harmony is yours. Health is yours. Pass the thought to your subconscious mind to the point of conviction; then relax. Through relaxation, you impress your subconscious mind enabling the kinetic energy behind the idea to take over and bring it into concrete realization.